Looking for garden fence ideas for your backyard? If you’re looking for inspiration on how to build a beautiful and functional garden fence, you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, we will discuss 13 garden fence designs that will make your yard stand out from the rest.
Table of Contents
There are many different types of garden fence ideas out there, and one popular option is to go with a metal design.
Metal fences can be made from a variety of materials, such as steel, aluminum, or wrought iron. They provide a durable and long-lasting barrier against intruders.
Given their many benefits, it’s no wonder that metal fences are such a popular choice for gardeners looking to increase the security and beauty of their outdoor spaces.
They’re also a top choice for privacy fence ideas.
Traditional Picket Fence
A picket fence is a classic choice for a garden fence. It’s a traditional design that can add a touch of charm to any yard.
Picket fences are typically made of wood, but they can also be made of vinyl or aluminum.
The most important thing to consider when choosing a picket fence is the height.
You want the fence to be tall enough to deter animals from jumping over, but short enough so that it doesn’t block your view of the garden.
Another thing to consider is the spacing between the pickets. If you have small children or pets, you’ll want to choose a fence with closely spaced pickets so that they can’t squeeze through.
Finally, make sure to choose a durable material that will withstand the elements and last for years.
If you are looking for a simple and attractive solution for garden fence ideas, then bamboo panels may be just what you are looking for.
These versatile panels come in a range of styles and sizes, making it easy to find one that matches your aesthetic preferences.
What’s more, bamboo is a highly durable material that can withstand even the harshest elements, from high winds to heavy rain. As such, a bamboo panel would be an excellent choice for those who want to keep their gardens looking their best all year round.
With just a few simple steps and some basic DIY skills, you can have an incredible new garden fence up in no time.
White Vinyl Fence
If you’re looking for a garden fence that is both stylish and practical, then a white vinyl fence might be the perfect choice for you.
Vinyl fences are made from PVC plastic and are designed to resemble wood. However, unlike wood, they are extremely low maintenance and will never need to be painted or stained.
Plus, you can choose a style with lattice if you want. What’s more, vinyl fences are very strong and durable, making them ideal for those who want a fence that will last for many years.
So if you’re looking for an attractive and long-lasting garden fence, then a white vinyl fence may be the perfect option for you.
One of the most unique and beautiful garden fence ideas is to incorporate climbing plants into the design.
Climbing plants can add privacy and beauty to any yard, and they are a great way to add some extra greenery to your outdoor space.
There are many different types of climbing plants to choose from, so you’ll be sure to find one that suits your needs.
Whether you want a fast-growing plant to provide quick privacy or a slow-growing one that will add some beautiful color to your yard, there’s a climbing plant out there for you.
You have several living fence ideas to choose from as well.
If you’re looking for a fence that will provide both privacy and security, then a horizontal privacy fence might be the perfect option.
These types of fences are typically made of wood or vinyl and can range in height from six to eight feet.
What’s more, they are designed with closely spaced pickets that make it difficult for people to see through.
This makes them an ideal choice for those who want to keep their yards private and secure.
So if you’re looking for a fence that will give you the privacy you need, then a horizontal privacy fence may be the perfect option for you.
Chain Link Fence
If you’re looking for a low-maintenance garden fence, then a chain link fence might be the perfect choice for you.
Chain link fences are made of metal and are designed to last for many years. They are also extremely easy to install, making them a great choice for those who want a fence that is quick and easy to set up.
And because they are so durable, they are an excellent choice for those who want a fence that will withstand the elements and last for many years. They are also a top choice for dog fence ideas as well.
Iron Fence With Gate
If you’re looking for a classic and stylish garden fence, then an iron fence with a gate might be the perfect choice for you.
Iron fences are known for their durability and strength, making them an excellent choice for those who want a fence that will last for many years.
And because they are so strong, they are also an excellent choice for those who want a fence that will provide security and privacy.
If you’re looking for a fence that is both stylish and functional, then a lattice fence might be the perfect choice for you.
Lattice fences are made of wood or vinyl and can range in height from four to six feet. They are also designed with closely spaced slats that allow air and light to pass through while still providing privacy.
This makes them an ideal choice for those who want a fence that will allow them to enjoy their outdoor space while still keeping their yard private.
If you’re looking for an eco-friendly and stylish garden fence, then a bamboo fence might be the perfect choice for you.
Bamboo is a fast-growing plant that is very strong and durable. It is also an excellent choice for those who want a fence that will provide privacy and security.
And because it is so environmentally friendly, it is an excellent choice for those who want a fence that will add to the beauty of their yard. These would also be a great backyard fence choice as well.
If you’re looking for a fence that is both inexpensive and stylish, then a pallet fence might be the perfect choice for you. Pallet fences are made of recycled wood pallets and can range in height from four to six feet. They are also an excellent choice for those who want a fence that is easy to install and requires little maintenance. And because they are made of recycled materials, they are an excellent choice for those who want a fence that is eco-friendly.
If you’re looking for a fence that is both functional and stylish, then a garden trellis might be the perfect choice for you. Garden trellises are made of wood or metal and can range in height from four to eight feet. They are also an excellent choice for those who want a fence that will add some extra interest to their yard. And because they are so easy to install, they are an excellent choice for those who want a fence that is quick and easy to set up.
Wood and Metal Fence Combo
If you’re looking for a fence that is both strong and stylish, then a wood and metal fence might be the perfect choice for you. Wood and metal fences are known for their durability and strength, making them an excellent choice for those who want a fence that will last for many years. And because they are so strong, they are also an excellent choice for those who want a fence that will provide security and privacy.
What is the Best Fence for a Garden?
It’s tough to decide which type of fencing will best suit your garden.
There are many wild animals and pets that you need to defend your plants against, all of which can either leap over or dig under garden barriers.
When you factor in the weather and your budget, you may still be left wondering which of the thousands of fencing options will offer the most protection for your plants.
The best garden fences typically measure around 5-6 ft in height and are often made of either wood, metal (aluminum or iron), vinyl, or masonry materials such as brick or cement.
The fencing type you choose will depend on whether you’re seeking general protection or defense against a specific type of wildlife or pet.
Since people often either build fences themselves or hire professionals to install these barriers, there is no single product that one can point to and say, “this is the best fence for your garden.”
Instead, a fence can be crafted to your specific needs and legal requirements with high-quality materials that should last for years. For more on what elements comprise the best garden fencing, see the overview below.
What to Consider When Shopping for Garden Fencing
There are so many garden fence ideas to choose from. The most suitable type of garden fencing for your outdoor space depends on where you live, what you’re growing, and the types of critters you’re trying to keep out of your space.
Additionally, you’ll need to consider whether you are trying to protect a small container gardening area or a large crop on a homestead.
You may even have to consider your city’s ordinances before installing the new fence, as there may be laws about the following details of the fence:
- Material. You might only be allowed to install fences composed of specific materials. For instance, in Colton, CA, fences should only be made of cement or other traditional masonry materials, iron, woven wire, or wood. (Source: Colton, CA – Code of Ordinances)
- Height. Where are you planning on installing your fence? Depending on whether you’ll be placing the fence in the back- or front yard, you’ll need to check your city laws for the maximum height allowed. For instance, in Phoenix, AZ, front yard fences can only be 3 ft in height at most, while backyard fencing is allowed to reach heights of up to 6 feet tall. (Source: City of Phoenix)
- Location. As mentioned above, you’ll need to think about where you want to install your fence on your property and the type of property you have. Is your garden located on a separate lot from your home, or is it in your yard? If you’re gardening on private property, ensure that your chosen fence can be installed the appropriate distance away from the street. (Source: Gold Bar, WA – Code of Ordinances)
As you learn more about the fencing types available to you, keep these factors in mind. Although your preferences and specific applications are crucial to the kind of fence you’ll ultimately install, the law has the final say in what you’ll be able to buy to protect your plants.
Fencing for Defense Against Wildlife
Deer are some of the most common animals that cause extensive damage to gardens throughout the country. Unfortunately, once they’ve got your garden in their sights, they’re highly likely to return for seconds.
The most common types of damage that deer would inflict on your plants include uprooting plants, breaking branches, and stripping foliage, so you’ll want to do all you can to keep them out. (Source: Chatham County Extension, North Carolina State University)
When selecting fencing to exclude deer, keep in mind that they can leap over heights of about 8 ft. (So, check your local ordinances to make sure you can get a fence this high!) However, they can’t jump very far.
So, the best fence you can get should be slanted at a 45֯ angle. When slanted like this, you can compromise to about 6 ft in height. Electric fences and slatted wooden fences are best for this.
You should also consider adding strands of monofilament twine to add just a bit more of a deterrent, as the deer may bump into it and run off. Tying it between posts at least 30″ off the ground would produce the best results. Barbed and smooth wire between fence posts can be quite effective as well.
Fencing to Keep Out Other Wild Animal and Pets
Unfortunately, deer aren’t the only animals that can be found sneaking into your garden or orchard. Other types of animals that can harm your garden space (and the appropriate fencing to keep them out) include
- Birds: You might catch birds eating your plants’ foliage and flowers, stealing fruit and vegetables or causing terrible aesthetic damage to trees. Unfortunately, it’s a bit tougher to keep birds out of your garden, as they’re not restricted to traveling on the ground. The best solution is to install netting in addition to your fencing, as they can’t easily make their way around this.
- One of the most dependable types of netting is the Aspectek Bird Netting Protective Fencing. You can drape it directly over fruit trees or attach it to fence posts to somewhat enclose the garden space.
- Rabbits: The damage inflicted by this animal varies by season. For instance, you can expect them to eat up your fruits and veggies in the spring and summer. In the fall and winter, they’ll destroy shrubs and other woody plants. Luckily, a simple woven or welded wire fence with 1/4-1″ mesh that’s only 2-3 ft in height will do just fine to keep them out.
- Amagabeli ½” 19-gauge Hardware Cloth is one of the best options for rabbit exclusion in the garden.
- Coyotes: Although most people associate coyotes with eating meat, they also have a taste for plant material. They’re known to swoop in after heavy winds to pick up fallen fruits and vegetables, as well as digging up the soil around trees and shrubs. The best coyote fences should be at least 5 ½ ft tall and made of wood, cement, brick, or wire.
- “Coyote rollers” offer an additional source of protection that will reliably keep coyotes out of your garden. If they make it to the top of the fence, the roller will send them falling right back to the ground since they can’t get a grip on the moving metal.
Note that many of these solutions are great for pets as well. The same items you use to keep wild animals out will be just as effective in keeping pets from wandering into areas they don’t belong. However, when protecting your garden from your plants, please refrain from installing electric fencing or barbed wire, as this may result in traumatic feelings for your pet in their home.
The Best Standard Fence for General Protection
You may not be looking to defend your garden against any specific animal or pests, but instead, just want to make sure that your property line is clearly marked. In this case, you won’t need to consider any particular animal behaviors. Still, you should definitely look into the fencing material’s durability and longevity.
The best types of reliable materials for building a garden fence include the following
- Vinyl: This is a lightweight material that is easy to install and can withstand many different types of environmental conditions.
- Pressure-treated wood: This is one of the best choices for protection against unwelcome garden guests, in addition to degradation as a result of mold or environmental pressures.
- Metal: Aluminum and iron are some of the most popular and dependable choices for fencing material. You’ll need to pay close attention to the metal’s quality; otherwise, you run the risk of the fence rusting.
No matter what material you choose, just make sure that it meets the height and positioning requirements imposed by your city or county. This way, you can ensure that not only is your garden protected, but that you won’t have to perform any avoidable repairs down the line to meet the local legal standards.
There are a variety of garden fence ideas to choose from, so whether you’re looking for something functional or stylish, there’s sure to be the perfect fence for you. And because they are so easy to install, they are an excellent choice for those who want a quick and easy way to add some extra interest to their yard. So whatever your needs, there’s sure to be a garden fence idea that’s perfect for you.